Apply For Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
You may be able to enter and work in Australia on a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (SC 482). If you have the particular skills and qualifications to fill a job that is experiencing staff shortages, this could be the visa for you.
Read on for more details regarding this visa type.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE 482 VISA
- Your occupation must appear on the relevant Skilled Occupations list.
- You must have a minimum of two years’ experience in the role (or related field), in the past five years.
- You must hold the relevant qualifications in your role or field. Some qualifications may require a skills assessment for confirmation.
- You must meet criteria involving English skills, health and character.
- You must be nominated by an employer who is an approved sponsor.
- You’ll need to ensure that you are covered by private medical insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia.
- You will need to hold any licenses or registrations that are required under Australian law for your nominated occupation.
WITH THIS VISA, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO
- You can remain in Australia for two to four years but may be able to apply for two-year extensions near the end of your visa.
- You will be able to work in your specified role, for your sponsoring employer.
- You will be able to enter and exit the country throughout the duration of your visa, as many times as you like.
- You will be able to apply for permanent residency in the future, if you meet certain requirements.
- You will be able to bring your family members to Australia with you, as long as they are approved for the Temporary Skill Shortage visa.
WITH THIS VISA, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO
- You will not be able to work in an occupation that is different to the one you were approved for. To work in a different occupation, you must apply for and be granted a SC 482 visa for that role.
- You will not be able to stay longer than the duration of your visa, unless you apply for and are granted an extension, permanent residency or another visa type.
- You will not be able to bring family members to Australia unless your family members have also been approved for the Temporary Skill Shortage visa.
- You cannot cease employment for a period of more than 60 consecutive days.
For the latest information and requirements about your particular visa of interest, please feel free to contact our experienced, MARA qualified & trustworthy migration agents by clicking here.