The Carer visa enables an individual to remain or come to Australia for the sole purpose to provide medical care and assistance to a relative who is a usual resident or settled in Australia. Read on for more information regarding the requirements and provisions of this visa.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A CARER VISA (836 / 116)…
- You must be a carer for a relative in Australia who is a usual resident or settled in Australia and who is suffering from a condition which is classed as permanent or long-term by medical professionals.
- That relative must have an appointment to be assessed by Bupa medical visa services.
- You must be the only person in Australia who can provide the necessary care and assistance.
- You must be able to fulfill the care needs of your relative.
- Your relative or their partner must be willing and eligible to sponsor your application.
- You must be in Australia when you submit your application and must be in the country to receive the visa when it is granted.
- You must not already hold a visa which includes a ‘no further stay’ condition.
WITH THIS VISA, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO…
- Enjoy the right to remain in Australia on an indefinite basis as a permanent resident.
- Apply for full citizenship in Australia.
- Find work or engage in an educational study within Australia, providing this does not impact on the care being provided.
- Enter and exit Australia as many times as you want during the initial five year period. Once this five-year period is complete, a further visa application must be submitted.
WITH THIS VISA YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO…
- Enter Australia after the initial five-year period has come to an end unless you have applied for an additional visa. This will depend on the length of time spent outside of Australia and the length of time spent in Australia within the 5-year period.
BEFORE BEGINNING YOUR APPLICATION…
- Check to make sure that the Carer visa program has not already closed for this year. The Australian government places a limit on how many Carer visa applications it approves annually. For more information on this, contact a member of our team.
- The relative you will be providing care for, or their partner must sign an undertaking which requires them to provide you with accommodation, financial assistance and other support (if required) for the first two years of your stay in Australia.
- Check to make sure that your passport is valid and will continue to be valid for the duration of the application processing time.
Processing times and application fees for Carer visas vary. For up to date cost information, or to start your application, contact a member of our team today by clicking here.