Contributory Parent Visa - Offshore (Temp / 173)(Per / 143)

The Contributory Parent visa gives parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents and Eligible New Zealand Citizens, who are outside Australia the opportunity to pay for faster processing times than those offered by the standard Parent visa. As waiting times for Parent visas can be up to 30 years, this option provides an attractive alternative for many. Read on to learn more about these types of visas.

To be eligible for the 173 / 143 visas…

… you must be outside of Australia to apply for this visa. The subclass 173 is the temporary stage for this visa, which allows you to live in Australia for two years. Within this two-year period you must apply for the subclass 143 Visa, which is the permanent stage for the offshore “Contributory Parent Visa”. This allows you to spread the costs of the visa over a number of years, however applicants can choose to skip the two-year temporary stage and apply directly for the permanent visa (143).  

… you must have sponsorship from an eligible child.

… you must be able to pass health and character tests as provided by Australian immigration authorities.

… you must be able to pass the immigration authorities’ balance-of-family test. The test gives regard to the number of children you have who reside inside and outside Australia. Please contact a member of our team for further information.

… you will need to find a person or organisation who is willing to give you an assurance of support. This can be your sponsor or another person. Maximum of three people can provide an assurance of support for you. The purpose of the assurance is to provide and demonstrate a legal commitment that someone is willing to provide you with financial support so you do not have to rely on social security payments.  

… you must be able to pay the processing costs of this visa, which are higher than those of a standard Parent visa (103). Get in touch with our team for the latest visa costs.

With this visa (143) you will be able to…

… remain in Australia for an indefinite period.

… find employment or begin studying in Australia.

… enrol in the Medicare program which provides healthcare cover to Australian citizens and residents.

… sponsor any relatives who are eligible to apply for permanent resident status.

… begin an application for full citizenship.

… enter and exit Australia without limitation for five years, beginning on the date your visa is granted. Following this period, an additional visa application will need to be submitted.

With this visa you will NOT be able to…

… receive any guarantees regarding a full citizenship application.

… enter Australia once the initial period of five years is completed, if you have chosen to leave the country. This will depend on the length of time spent outside of Australia and the length of time spent in Australia within the 5-year period. 

Before your application begins…

… check you circumstances. Because of the high cost associated with a Contributory Parent visa, some candidates opt to spread the cost by applying for a temporary Aged Parent visa offshore (173), before applying for the permanent application (143).

… ensure that your passport is up-to-date and valid upon submission.

… check your previous visas. If you have received a Tourist (676) or Visitor (600) visa through ministerial intervention in the past, you are advised to contact a member of our team directly to discuss your options.

For enquiries regarding the latest visa costs, other general enquires, or to start your visa application process, please get in touch with our team today by clicking here.