Child Visa - Onshore (SC 802) / Offshore (SC 101)

If you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident of Australia, or a New Zealand citizen who meets eligibility requirements and your child is not currently an Australian permanent resident, you may sponsor your child to become a permanent resident through the Child Onshore visa (802) or Offshore visa (101).

If the child was born inside Australia to an eligible parent, a visa application does not need to be submitted, as the child will automatically be granted full citizenship in Australia. The Child visa is designed to help children who were born outside of Australia join their parents permanently within the country. Read on to find out more about this type of visa.

To be eligible for a permanent Child visa (802 / 101), your child…

… must have a parent who is a citizen or a permanent resident in Australia, or is an eligible New Zealand citizen.

… must be sponsored by that parent or by their parents partner. 

… must be dependent on the eligible parent and under 18 years of age.

… must be within Australia at the time of lodging the application (for the Onshore 802). Applicants from outside Australia will need to apply for the Offshore 101 visa.

With this visa, your child will be able to…

… remain in Australia indefinitely with their parents.

… receive education and employment within Australia.

… enrol in Australia’s Medicare program to receive insurance cover for expenses related to healthcare. 

… provide sponsorship to relatives who meet eligibility requirements.

… travel into and out of Australia for up to five years after the visa is granted. International travel beyond this date will require another visa application.

With this visa, your child will NOT be able to…

… receive a guarantee on any future citizenship applications.

… enter Australia after the completion of the initial five year period, unless an additional entry visa is granted. This will depend on the length of time spent outside of Australia and the length of time spent in Australia within the 5-year period. 

Before your child begins their application…

… ensure that the child is not born in Australia to a parent who is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. In these cases, the child will not need a visa to live in Australia and will automatically be granted citizenship.

... ensure that the child’s passport is valid and current when the application is lodged.

Visa and processing costs vary and are subject to change. You can contact us directly to receive information on the latest visa prices. To begin the application on behalf of your child – or to receive further information on this or other visa types – please get in touch with a member of our team click here